Pink peppercorns. Photo: Popartichoke, Flickr
Whether or not you're in the habit of automatically reaching for pepper as soon as you're served a meal, National Pepper Month is the time to start. Originating in India, pepper clippings were next brought to Asia, where they have been exported from for the last 4000 years. Although once a star of the spice trade, pepper is hardly deemed exotic anymore, but its sharp, peppery taste still enhances food as much as any other spice.
Pepper fanatic or not, these punchy pepper recipes will allow you to savor the black powder condiment -- and save you the trouble of reaching across the table for an extra dose.
- Parmesan Black Pepper Biscotti
- Five-Spice Salt and Pepper Shrimp
- Sauteed Tilapia with Lemon-Peppercorn Pan Sauce
- Maple Black Pepper Pork Chops
- Gingered Salmon Tartar with Green Apple, Radish and Pink Peppercorns
- Pink Peppercorn Ice Cream
- Blackberry and Black Pepper Pie
- Black Pepper Vanilla Ice Cream
Become a member of the Slashfood Flickr pool to get a shot at having your photos featured on the site.