"food and wine magazine" news and stories
Couldn't swing a trip to Food & Wine Magazine's Classic in Aspen this year? S'okay -- we've got you covered. Kick back with a glass of bubbly and some schmancy nibbles, bookmark this post and keep on checking back for real-time Twitter coverage from the event. Keep up with pictures from the red carpet and around the festival here.
On-scene Tweeters include:
Food & Wine editors and staffers Dana Cowin @fwscout, Christina Grdovic @grdovic, Kate Krader @kkrader, Gail Simmons @gailsimmons, Ray Isle @islewine, Jee Park @JeeWPark, Lori LeFevre @llefevre and their main feed @fandw
Top Chef alumni Richard Blais @RichardBlais, Stephanie Izard @stephanieizard and Ilan Hall @ilanhall
After the jump, see the live feed from the Food & Wine Classic.
Strawberry milkshakes and juice boxes shaped like fruit: Two things that make us grateful for April heat waves.
Food & Wine's own Dana Cowin alerted us to this luscious milkshake on the Saveur Web site, accompanied by a recipe that calls for an ingenious combination of strawberry ice cream, strawberry sorbet and strawberry jam.
The juice boxes, meanwhile, are the brilliant invention of Naoto Fukasawa, a Japanese industrial designer who designed the boxes to mimic the look and texture of the fruit they contain: pictured here are banana and strawberry, along with soy, which rather uncannily mimics a block of tofu. We can't help but feel that these boxes blow the Capri Suns of our elementary school days out of the water, or at least the sandbox.
[Saveur via Dana Cowin]
You do follow our Twitter @slashfood, don'tcha? The Food & Wine Magazine's Best New Chefs festivities commence at 6:30 p.m. on April 1, and Food & Wine Editor-In-Chief Dana Cowin has been dropping devilish little hints about the winners via Twitter all day long. First person to solve the mystery wins two tickets to tomorrow night's event.
Won't you Tweet with us? If we're really lucky, we'll even post some red-hot guest chef David Chang or "Top Chef" winner Harold Dieterle cell-phone camera action.
Twit-tip: Follow all Best New Chefs posts using #BNC
- A beer expert vs. a wine expert.
- If you ever have to roast a sucking pig, here's how to do it.
- A foodie road trip to Jamaica.
- Three outdoor escapes, in Montana, Wisconsin, and California.
- A list of what to drink this summer.
- Here are 15 simple condiments you can make, along with 12 healthy fruit desserts (including the Concord Grape Granita, above).
- This month's recipes include: Sunflower Seed Dip with Dill, Sweet and Sour Carrots, Buttermilk Chicken with Crispy Cornflakes, Grilled Mini Meat Loafs, Vietnamese Chicken Salad, Four Citrus Salsa, Hot Dogs with Grilled Coleslaw, Chocolate Fondue with Fruit and Grilled Pound Cake, and Zen Sangria.
- A foodie tour of the Mediterranean with Jacques Pepin.
- Eight travelers pick their favorite foods from around the world (and their favorite bags to put that food in).
- Airstream Cuisine.
- What are chefs in Spain interested in now?
- Who's the next Jamie Oliver?
- A quick guide to Pinot Noir.
- How to make a better cupcake.
- New stuff for your kitchen, here, here, and here.
- This month's recipes include: Chilled Russian Borscht, Tangy Twice-Cooked Eggplants with Red Peppers, Watermelon and Goat Cheese Salad, Spiced Pinto Beans with Chorizo, Cubano Sandwiches, Korean Grilled Beef, Baja Fried Shrimp Tacos, Poached Eggs with Baked Feta and Olives, Chocolate Buttermilk Cake, and Lemonade Slushies with Mint and Lemon Verbena.