The idea behind the Earth Dinner is to create a themed dinner party where you and your guests connect with the food by discussing its geographic origin as well as how it was grown or produced. There's even a set of cards available to help spur conversation with such themes as "First bite: Describe the very first time you tasted something you picked off a tree,vine, stem or pulled out of the ground."
The coolest thing about the Earth Dinner though is that they've gathered five chefs from around the U.S. to create menus featuring everything from sorrel salad with creamy dressing to shrimp and grits with asparagus. This year's lineup is:
- California: Chef John Ash, John Ash & Company, Santa Rosa
- Pacific Northwest: Chef Greg Atkinson, Organic to Go, Seattle
- Midwest: Chef Bruce Sherman, North Pond Restaurant, Chicago
- Northeast: Chef Gordon Hamersley, Hamersley's Bistro, Boston
- Southeast: Chef Robert Stehling, Hominy Grill, Charleston