- Did you resolve to eat more veggies this year? Treehugger has written up nine ways to get more veggies into your diet.
- Think any good diet has to exclude delicious things like pizza? According to cookbook author and restaurant critic Joy Manning, it does not. Check out her sensible, healthy and mostly whole wheat pizza dough recipe.
- Entertaining at home is a great way to spend time with friends while saving some cash. Check out Maggie Mason's (queen of the Mighty Goods/Junior/Haus shopping empire) cheese plate jar which makes impromptu entertaining a snap.
- Attention Bacon Bits lovers! You would be well-served to skip any food service bits you come across for the near future, as 3,600 pounds of bits were recently recalled.
- The Pro Bono Baker recently adapted a Napa Cabbage Salad recipe from Chez Panisse Fruit to deliciously good results.
- I love the no-knead bread recipe, but sometimes I want bread that doesn't take 24 hours to make. I am intrigued by Katy (The Non-Consumer Advocate's) recipe for One Hour Bread.
- Nearly every week, Stefania (aka CityMama) posts a recipe on her site that makes me start a shopping list so I can re-create it at home. This week I am in love with her Mandoo Soup.
- Love take-out but don't love the cost (as well as all the packaging you consume each time you order out)? Check out this list of nine take-out standbys that you can make at home.
"CityMama" news and stories
Filed under: Slashfood Ate
Each Friday afternoon, I gather up an assortment of links from around the food webs for your pre-weekend enjoyment. Here's some of what's caught my eye recently.
- Move over canning, root cellars are the newest (oldest), hottest method of food preserving on the block. The New York Times featured them last week and Culinate offers more on subject from expert Harriet Fasenfest.
- Looking for a way to make your winter a little brighter? Plan meals with friends and family.
- Like the taste and convenience of slow cooked foods but don't have an electric slow cooker? CityMama helps you use just a cast iron casserole dish and your oven to achieve the same effect.
- The Wednesday Chef featured a chocolate chip cookie recipe that includes buckwheat groats for added fiber and texture. These are going on my 'must make' list for this weekend.
- I bought a big bunch of kale last weekend at the farmers market. I haven't gotten around to cooking it yet, but I've got my eye on this recipe from Elise at Simply Recipes.
- For those of you out there who keep kosher, it's going to be a whole lot harder to get kosher beef for you dining table. NPR reports that one of the largest Kosher meat plants in the country has shut down their beef facility.
- I like pumpkin bread and I LOVE cranberry bread. Putting the two of them together? Genius!
- Looking for a weekend baking project that will knock the socks straight off your loved ones? What about the Feather Boa Doughnuts that Erin made recently! Based on a recipe from 101 Cookbooks, they are a little lighter than fried doughnuts but I imagine no less delicious.
Filed under: Slashfood Ate
Most Popular Stories
How to Throw a Dim Sum Party