Photo: dannyman, Flick
When French teenager Benjamin Orset died from food poisoning in January, the cause was traced to a meal he'd eaten the day before his death at a Quick burger joint in Avignon, reports UPI. Now the manager of that restaurant faces not only accusations that hygiene standards were ignored, but charges of involuntary homicide. Staphylococcus bacteria was present in Orset's gastric juices and on five Quick employees that were on duty the day he bought his food. The link seems clear.
Quick is trying to do some serious damage control. President of the Quick group, Jacques-Eduoard Charret, can be seen in a company video lauding Quick's hygiene standards. The fast-food company also took out full-page ads with a similar theme in newspapers Le Figaro and Les Echos, reports Radio France Internationale. What they neglect to mention is that a 14-year-old died, likely because of their lapses.
Do you think restaurants should be liable in cases like this? Let us know in the comments.
- What are the leading culprits of food poisoning? The Huffington Post has the answer.
Become a fan of Slashfood on Facebook and follow us Twitter.