Photo: Elizabeth Hait, AOL
For Burger King's New Year's resolution, The King has proposed to place toppings not on top of their signature flame-broiled burgers but inside them. BK might just be making 2011 the year of the stuffed burger -- kicking things off in January with the kick of jalapeño, complemented by cheddar cheese. Here's how it rates:
The Claims: The Jalapeño & Cheese BK Stuffed Steakhouse Burger is a thick "steakhouse" beef patty infused with bits of chopped jalapeño peppers and morsels of cheddar cheese, topped with lettuce, tomato, and a creamy poblano sauce, all served on a bakery bun.
The Price: $3.99, at participating locations.
See my verdict after the jump.
My Verdict: Grade B-. For a fast-food chain known for the "heat" to come from flame-broilers, not spices, this new burger actually packs a lot of kick and is quite spicy -- when you find it, that is. The distribution of the jalapeño bits in the patty isn't always even and there is no "bite" in every bite. The saltiness of the cheese takes down the heat a tad, just as the lettuce and tomato attempt to offset the mild spiciness of the poblano cream sauce (which only has a hint of spice above what seems to be plain mayonnaise).
The problem (or advantage) of all this added flavor is that it actually overpowers BK's signature (and engineered) "flame-broiled taste," which is either a good or bad thing depending on your love for "flame broiled." (This contrasts with BK's tasty Pizza Whopper, which never loses the familiar BK flavor but enhances it with mozzarella and tomato sauce.) The only time you taste the "BK" in this new BK Stuffed Steakhouse Burger is when you burp afterwards, leaving that whopper of an aftertaste in your mouth.
We were also lucky enough yesterday to offer our colleagues at Aol Headquarters a taste-test of the new burger. With 20 burgers in tow and more than 30 people trying them, we felt it only necessary to share their comments with you, as well as their grades.
Our Testers' Verdicts: Grade A: 49%; Grade B: 38%; Grade C: 10%; Grade D: 3%.
- "I love the spicy kick, I can't believe this is Burger King."
- "I'd get this burger more than once for sure. In fact, I'd like a feedbag full of them!"
- "The jalapeño kick makes all the difference."
- "Didn't even realize it was a fast-food burger."
- "Love the spice. I can actually see and taste the jalapeños."
- "So much better with ketchup."
- "Better than their normal burgers."
- "The sauce is really good, but there's too much jalapeño in there for a mass crowd."
- "Finally, it's exactly what they're advertising."
- " I think it needs more cheese and I wish mine had pickles."
- "The char taste is freaking me out and the burger is dry."
- "Possibly too spicy for some, the patty itself is mealy and not very good."