Photo: Dessert First, Flickr
Believed to have originated in the 19th century US, the dainty individual-sized cakes are thought to have been named for cup portions, be it the simple "cups" of the pans they're baked in, or their baking procedure: While cake ingredients were first measured by weight, cupcakes relied upon the use of measurements in terms of cups.
Surely, chocolate cupcakes need no introduction, especially after they've been the top recent saccharine trend nationwide. But if you're looking for a new recipe, look no further: We've collected some of the more exciting ideas from the Slashfood Flickr pool.
- Mint-chocolate cupcakes
- Chocolate malted cupcakes
- Peanut-butter chocolate chip cupcakes
- Chocolate cupcakes with banana-coconut frosting
- Chocolate cupcakes with lavendar chantilly
- Dark chocolate Azteca cupcakes with cinnamon buttercream
- Chocolate cherry stout cupcakes
Become a member of the Slashfood Flickr pool to get a shot at having your photos featured in Feast Your Eyes.