I have never been much of a zucchini fan, so I thought I'd just incorporate it into some comfort food. Since zucchinis are in season and I had a couple handy, I thought, "How about chocolate zucchini cake?" It's been done many times before, but how about a pseudo-healthy muffin? Well, the zucchini is a versatile veggie...I used a cake recipe from this slashfood page
and fiddled with it a little.
- Cream 1/2 cup butter, 1//2 cup oil, 1 3/4 cups sugar until nice and creamy.
- Add two eggs, 1 tablespoon vanilla, 2 cups shredded zucchini, 2 /1/2 cups flour, 5 tablespoons cocoa powder, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1 tsp soda, 1/2 tsp baking soda.
- Whip it all good. (Kids love the batter, but remember, there are raw eggs in it!)
- Sprinkle 1/2 cup walnuts and some chocolate chips over top.
- Put in cupcake paper or pans and bake at 325 for 45 mins (or until the are "done" based on your oven).
What was nice about this little experiment is that the cocoa was sufficient to cover the zucchini. I'll definitely try it again next year. Oh, and the zukes were from a community garden so I felt somewhat
obliged to try them.