The season is changing, so how about trying a new variation on something old? The Reuben is a favorite and it inspired the following sandwich. Now, this isn't entry level finger food -- it's vegan, a bit sloppy, and most kids won't like it.
- 1 cake extra firm tofu
- 1 cup sweet teriyaki marinade
- 2 tablespoons vegan mayo. I use nayonaise but any will do, probably even canola mayo
- 1 tablespoon relish
- 1 tablespoon hot pesto or chutney
- 1 small yellow squash (which is widely available this time of year)
- 2 slices light rye bread
- Cut tofu into 1/8th inch slabs. Put in a zip-top bag with teriyaki sauce and let marinate all day
- Fry tofu in sesame oil as long as possible until crispy, without burning.
- Bake the squash (this tutorial can answer any questions you have on squash and how to prepare it)
- Mix the vegan mayo, relish and pesto together
- Put half the mix on the lower toasted piece of rye
- Arrange tofu as you like, spread remaining sauce (again you be the judge on how much and how strong) and drizzle a little of the marinade over top
- Finish by scraping a couple tablespoons of meat from a squash half and stringing it over the whole mess, add your lettuce and top it off with the other piece of rye