Apparently, the International Journal of Obesity suggested that there might be non-food related reasons why Americans are becoming increasingly obese. Nineteen scientists from the Canada, Italy, and the US concluded that the following reasons could be accountable for Americans' obesity:
- Not enough sleep
- Air conditioning reduces sweating
- Not smoking
- Medication with side effects of weight gain
- More middle-aged and Latino people
- Having children later in life
- Fat people are heartier
- Fat people mate with other fat people
- Some foods contain endocrine disrupters that can increase body fat.
- Genetic influences during pregnancy
You have got to be joking.
I am not sure which of these reasons seems the most ridiculous. I understand the point of "not sleeping." I know that when I am up late working, I get hungry and eat something, when normally I would be asleep, not eating. Additionally, when I'm tired, my choices are stupider. At 1 am, Cheetos sound great. But really now, fat people mating with other fat people creates more fat people?
I'm sorry, folks. We're getting fatter because we eat too much and don't exercise enough.