Some may think of Mardi Gras, St. Patrick's Day, and Cinco de Mayo when they think of "drinking holidays." But don't discount the Fourth of July. When you're out there on the lawn being shocked and awed by the fireworks, you may not be paying attention to the five margaritas you just drank. Oh boy. You are going to be hurting the morning after.
Some say the best way to cure a hangover is to drink more. Others say it takes two tylenol and cup of coffee. Whatever you do to "cure," you still have to eat something, even if the thought of it makes your stomach turn. Here are my top eight picks for what to eat "the morning after." Or afternoon, as it were.
- Bacon and eggs at the closest diner - Or perhaps it's sausage and eggs. Better yet, make it all three. Whichever it it, the dish will give you protein, and more importantly, the grease will help. Who knows why. Just use it as an excuse to eat bacon and sausage.
- Benito's nachos - We'd like to think that you've gone home, tried to sleep, and woke up at 10 am on the "morning after," but hey, if it's an all night rager and breakfast is at 4 a.m., Benito's Taco Shop in LA is open 24 hours. Lots of options, but the nachos are easy to share, and again, same principle as #1. Grease.
- Jamba Juice - Oh boy. You are dehydrated. You screamed so loud and talked so much that your jaw hurts. The best thing to do is have a smoothie - hydrating and no chewing required. The flavor is up to you, but something off the "secret menu" couldn't hurt.
- Pancakes from the same diner as #1 - Maybe your diner-style breakfast isn't bacon and eggs. Pancakes work well, too. Carbs are our friends. They make us happy. And syrup? Well that's like a liquid dose of happiness. Besides something about pancakes makes me think that they are sponges soaking up all the evil alcohol.
- Pho from anywhere you can find it - The broth is hydrating and rich with whatever nutrients came out of the beef that was cooked in it. The noodles go down easy. And since alcohol numbs even your taste senses, a good, generous shot of sriracha will perk you up.
- Bloody Mary, you lush - Well, if it's true that the best cure for a hangover is another drink, then a Bloody Mary has got you covered. Like a Jamba Juice smoothie, it's liquid, and it even has tomato juice, which is healthy, along with some roughage in the celery.
- Instant ramen at home - It's the same, rehydrating, salty concept at #5 Pho. However, you don't have to go anywhere. You don't have to do anything. Just add water and nuke it. Of course, you'll be in a sodium-bloated paradise the next day.
- This one's for you. What's your food remedy for that queasy, headachy and not-so-fresh feeling?