Simmered Sweet Kabocha
- 1 lb. kabocha
- 4 cups prepared dashi soup stock (see dashi instructions)
- 3 tbsps sugar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
1. Cut kabocha into small chunks about 1 and 1/2 inch cube.
2. Peel skin in places. (leave skin in places)
3. Put dashi soup stock, sugar, soy sauce, and kabocha chunks in a pan.
4. Place the pan in high heat and bring it to boil.
5. Turn down the heat to low.
6. Simmer kabocha until the liquid is almost gone.
Miso Soup with Kabocha
There are as many ways to make miso soup as there are people who make it. I like a little mirin in mine. Experiment to find a recipe that appeals to you.
- 4 cups dashi soup stock
- 1/2 a small kabocha, de-seeded and sliced thinly into 1 in. pieces
- 1/2 tofu
- 3 tbsp miso paste
- 1/4 cup chopped green onion
Put dashi soup stock in a pan and bring to a boil. Add kabocha and simmer until tender. Cut tofu into small cubes and add them to the soup. Scoop out some soup stock from the pan and dissolve miso paste in it. Return the soup in the pan. Stop the heat and add chopped green onion. Remember not to boil the soup after you put miso in.